Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gaming Tuesday

Two things to discuss today. First, the announcement of Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Secondly the news that L.A. Noire will come on 3 disks for the XBox 360.

*Spoiler Alert: There are going to be spoilers about Assassin's Creed Brotherhood in this part. So, if you're watching Hank Green's Let's Play or just haven't played the game yet, see you on the other side.






I was rather surprised to hear the announcement of a new Assassin's Creed game for this year. I thought that Brotherhood was simply going to be means to an end to better set up Assassin's Creed 3. I didn't expect Assassin's Creed 3 until fall of 2012. Also surprising was the fact that this was another game with Ezio as the main character.

(Final warning, The next words you see will be the biggest spoiler of Brotherhood)

I don't understand how they're going to pull off getting Desmond back into the Animus after he he killed Lucy under the Coliseum. That's going to take some explaining. I don't think, "Minerva, The Roman Goddess, told me to do it, but only I can see her" would actually fly. Then there's the fact that the thing you had been trying to find had been found. I can't get how it's going work out. We've got the Apple of Eden, Desmond has just stabbed Lucy in the heart, but let's got a mess around a bit more in the animus.

This entire renaissance era thing is really cool. I'm glad that there's going to be another game in this style. However, it doesn't seem to fit the story line. I think this is more of an attempt to hop on the annual game release train by Ubisoft. It also may just be another test for multiplayer for the big release of Assassin's Creed 3, when/if it comes.

If they do succeed in making this fit the storyline, I'd be happy if they could keep the game from moving to the modern setting entirely. Personally, I'd like it move to the French Revolution from the Renaissance. I don't think Assassin's Creed will work that well in a totally modern setting. I think the modern storyline is best used to supplement the historic one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoilers are over

L.A. Noire is coming out on both the XBox 360 and PS3, which would normally mean that the two systems get roughly the same game. However, L.A. Noire has a massive amount of data that an ordinary DVD disc cannot handle, but a Blu-ray disc can. That means that the XBox 360 version of the game will come on 3 discs.

I'm curious as to how exactly this will work. Will there just be disc changes? Or are two of the discs going to have to be copied to the hard drive and you play on a main disc?

L.A. Noire must be a truly massive game. It might be the first video game to take full advantage of blu-ray technology. I'm curious if this is leading to improved graphics, or a bigger environment; I suppose it could be both. I use Red Dead Redemption as my standard and that game had both ultra-realistic graphics and a very large world. If it needs 3 discs, I can't imagine how much better it could be.

If this does become a trend, I think Microsoft may have their hand forced on producing a new console. The XBox 360 dominated this generation of video game consoles to this point, but its choice of HD DVD instead of Blu-ray may make PS3 become the better choice until the next generation. I wouldn't expect Microsoft to have a completely new console for many years to come, but wouldn't be surprised to see a new 360 with Blu-ray Technology.

Thanks for reading and please comment.

-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment