Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tony Sly

I really do not like the way the world reacts to celebrity deaths. It almost seems like almost a fetishazation of that person. Records sales sky-rocket. Everyone claims being a fan. They become an ideal, a deity, and all else is forgotten. Michael Jackson died? Everyone needs to listen to "Thriller" on repeat and discuss how significant he was in music. I don't get it. I don't like it. People do not stop being complex after they die. If it was quality before they died, it'll still be quality after they've died.

And now I'm about to wax about a dead guy.

Today, I learned that one of my favorite musicians died. His name is Tony Sly. He was the lead singer of one of my favorite bands, No Use For A Name. It was very saddening to get that news from my Sister this morning. In fact, I'm really saddened in a way I haven't been before.

His music is just so damn good and it's still good and it will always be good, but, damnit, selfishly I want more. I've never get to see No Use live as I've known them. I'll never get to go to an acoustic show of his.

It's really hard to express how much enjoyment I've gotten out of No Use albums for years now. I learned about them in 6th grade when I was introduced to Punk Rock. Most of the music, I liked in those days has fallen off of my playlist, but No Use For A Name has stuck around. Tony was such an awesome song writer. His type of song-writing in a Punk context is just amazing. His lyrics were always thoughtful and pretty much always sad and perfect in their unique way.



It's always sad when someone you hold in high-esteem dies. There is a finality to it that just seems unfair to those of us who are stuck with life. However, it is always important to think about what the deceased person would actually want. He wouldn't want you to be all bummed about his dying. He would want you to remember him fondly, jam to his tunes, and make certain his family is alright.

Tony Sly, I will miss you. We will always have the tremendous music you produced and will never forget.



-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment