Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ten of my Favorite Memories

Here are ten of my favorite memories prior to the age of 18. This list isn't in order and it isn't really a top 10 list either. These are my ten most quantifiable/relatable great memories.

My friend, Emma, made a video this topic which I will embed at the bottom of this post.

1. Ohio State's 2002 National Championship- As a huge Ohio State fan, this is naturally on my list. I was feeling pretty confident that Ohio State would be able to beat Miami despite the odds. I've perhaps never had so much irrational joy as I did when I saw the flag that saved Ohio State.

2. Early-release Days- My class was the first in the State of Ohio to take Ohio Graduation Test. So, I had to take them when I was a Sophomore, but the next two years we were released early the week of the tests. My friends and I got into all kinds of shenanigans during those weeks. Those weeks also coincided with the first week of the NCAA Basketball tournament, so on the Thursdays and Fridays we would come back to my house and watch the games.

3. Last Day of 8th Grade- I remember that my last day of 8th grade being ridiculously laid back. Perhaps the funniest/most awesome thing I remember from that day is trying to throw a chair onto the roof of the school during Gym Class. I don't remember how we were allowed to get away with this, but I remember that the chair got really fucked up.

4. Away Games- My friends and I went to lots of the Away Football and Basketball games during High School. We had a lot of awesome times at those games. Also going to restaurants that aren't in our hometown was usually fun.

5. The Browns beating the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2009- This is a terribly second-hand memory. I didn't get to actually see this game. I had to work and even if I had been at home it wouldn't have been on the TV. However, very little has made me happier than that result. Show me the highlights from that game and you'll cheer me up.

6. WSHS Lockdown 2007- When I was a senior in High School we had a several hour Lockdown in the Spring. I mean it was kind of scary initially, but eventually you realized that if the shit was going to go down, it would've. Lots of whispered conversations. Once we were released they tried to make us go to class, but everyone just went home. To show how much of a goody-goody I was in High School, that was the only time I ever skipped.

7. Little-Sibs Weekend- I was in 6th (actually it might have been 5th) and I went to my Sister's Little-Sibs weekend at her college. It was the first time I stayed overnight somewhere without parental supervision. I remember having Ice Cream before dinner and that said dinner then consisting mostly of Macaroni and Cheese.

8. Lifehouse Concerts- I went to Lifehouse concerts four times prior to turning 18. In the summer of 2002 and the springs of 2005, 2006 and 2007. They were all great, but the last two were the best. I went with my best friend Nick in 2006. In 2007, I went with my Sister and her friend Courtney; this is the only one with photographic proof (also look it's me with shortish hair):


9. Seeing John Kerry and Bruce Springsteen at the Oval- In 2004, I went with my Young Democrats club to Ohio State to see John Kerry speak and Bruce Springsteen perform in the days leading up to the 2004 election. It was a great event to be at and we went to Shake 'n Steak afterwards and told all kinds of silly stories and played games.

10. Teh Lull- There was a period that roughly equates to my Sophomore and Junior years of High School between my father's first crazy manic episode and his second (we are currently on number three.) Hooray for things actually being pleasant at home.



Thanks for reading

-Michael

1 comment:

  1. YEAHHHH. This was fun to read =] I, personally, never skipped a class. Which is ridiculous. Unless you count the fact that we didn't HAVE to go to class after we took an IB Exam and I took advantage of that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete